Home > News > Press releases

Four CGN nuclear power bases come through Mangkhut


All 18 nuclear power units and personnel at Taishan, Yangjiang, Daya Bay, and Fangchenggang nuclear power bases rode out super typhoon Mangkhut in accordance with the unified arrangement of China General Nuclear Power Corporation.

Mangkhut, the 22nd typhoon of this year, landed in Haiyan town, Taishan at 5 pm on Sept 16, with packing winds up to 162 km per hour, according to the Guangdong Meteorological Service.

From Sept 10 to 12, the four nuclear power bases set up specialized task forces to formulate emergency plans and arrangements. Before Mangkhut’s landing, all emergency personnel had been on standby, and all preventative measures had been put in place.

Taishan Nuclear Power Base

Taishan Nuclear Power Base Emergency Headquarters hosted a conference on Sept 12 to discuss and deploy precautionary measures against typhoon in relation to inspection, telecommunication, logistics and emergency supplies.

The Emergency Headquarters carried out a security check from Sept 13 to 15 in which the emergency task force checked the emergency personnel, telecommunications, logistics, emergency supplies, emergency shelter, and on-site conditions.

All the preparatory work had been completed and 231 emergency personnel placed on standby before the typhoon approached Taishan .

Mangkhut landed on the coast of Taishan at 5 pm on Sept 16, bringing gales of up to 58.3 meters per second. The Taishan Power Nuclear Power Plant (NPP), however, landed on its feet.

Taishan NPP released a notice at 5:30 am on Sept 16, urging all emergency personnel to get to the duty room within half an hour. 

The duty room stored adequate food and is equipped with folding beds.

Watchkeepers were eating instant noodles at 6:20 am on Sept 16.

The Emergency Headquarters held a conference to re-check the precautionary work in relation to on-site conditions, logistics, telecommunications, and personnel.

Staff member of the Emergency Headquarters were discussing prevention work at 7:30 am on Sept 16.

A China Telecom emergency satellite phone telecommunication vehicle was in place to further ensure telecommunication.

It started drizzling at 9 am on Sept 16 and there were small waves on the sea.

An operator on night shift took a rest at the office, recuperating energy for the next shift.

Huang Ningsheng, vice governor of Guangdong province, and Lin Yingwu, Party secretary of Jiangmen, inspected typhoon precautionary work at 9:30 am on Sept 16.

The Taishan Nuclear Power Base was quiet at 10 am on Sept 16, and the wind was not yet strong.

On-duty instrumentation control staff members check signals at 11 am on Sept 16.

The chief emergency response commander reported the situation to the general manager of the Taishan NPP and discussed deployment.

An on-duty security guard keeps an eye the scene through surveillance video at 12:30 am on Sept 16.

Inspectors of the National Nuclear Safety Administration and emergency personnel watch the on-site scene via surveillance video at 3 pm on Sept 16.

The Taishan Nuclear Power Base emergency staff is on video link with the National Nuclear Emergency Office and the Guangdong Nuclear Emergency Office at 3:30 pm on Sept 16.

The typhoon emergency response work is a success, as all personnel and the nuclear power units are safe, according to emergency personnel’s check at 6:30 pm on Sept 16.

Yangjiang Nuclear Power Base

Yangjiang Nuclear Power Base tri-proofing inspection team inspected the scaffolds, closely knitted net and color coated steel tiles, among other features at the nuclear power units numbered one to six on the morning of Sept 12.

Yangjiang Nuclear Power Base hosted a conference to report the typhoon’s movements and the nuclear power unit operation conditions on Sept 13, while deploying the details of the typhoon precautionary work.

Licensed operators and on-site staff members conducted stimulator drill from Sept 13 to 14. Before the landing of the typhoon, all precautionary works and emergency personnel were in place.

The Emergency Headquarters held a deployment conference on the morning of Sept 16, with different departments reporting detailed information about their typhoon precautionary work.

Peng Hui, deputy director of the Guangdong Provincial Public Security Department, and Liang Jinhai, deputy mayor of Yangjiang, inspected and instructed the typhoon precautionary work at Yangjiang Nuclear Power Base at noon on Sept 16.

Yangjiang Nuclear Power Plant Emergency Headquarters stuck to their post, while watching Mangkhut’s movements and reviewing prevention measures at noon on Sept 16.

Operators of nuclear power units took their responsibilities in earnest to keep the units safe at noon on Sept 16.

Technical staff members keep eyes on telecommunication facilities at noon on Sept 16.

Logistics staff members were tasked with logistics support.

Real-time picture of Yangjiang Nuclear Power Plant prior to the landing of Mangkhut at 2 pm, Sept 16

All personnel and nuclear power units at Yangjiang Nuclear Power Plant were safe as of 6 pm, Sept 16.

Daya Bay Nuclear Power Base

Located on Shenzhen’s Dapeng Peninsula, Daya Bay Nuclear Power Base is one of the largest of its kind in the world in terms of installed capacity. It encompasses six nuclear power units in the Daya Bay Nuclear Power Plant, LNPS I and LNPS II.

Daya Bay Nuclear Power Base set up a typhoon precaution task force on Sept 10 and hosted three typhoon precaution conferences to make contingency plans and deploy precautionary work from Sept 10 to 14.

Before Mangkhut’s landing, the outdoor facilities at the base were either reinforced or demolished, and the reservoir discharged water in advance. Technicians troubleshot the important safety facilities such as emergency diesel and conducted drills. All the precautionary works were put in place on Sept 14.

The Guangdong Meteorological Service issued a red alarm at 9 pm on Sept 15. The Daya Bay Nuclear Power Base entered an emergency state, with all typhoon response task forces on standby and nuclear power units being de-loaded and disconnected at the request of the power grid.

Emergency headquarters deployed on the evening of Sept 15.

The safety protection team was monitoring the wind force and rainfall on the morning of Sept 16.

The typhoon precaution task force was carrying out rain-proofing work on the morning of Sept 16.

Being 160 kilometers away, Mangkhut was closest to the nuclear power base at 2 pm on Sept 16. Everything was fine as the precautionary works were rolled out smoothly in accordance with the contingency plan.

The watchkeepers check the penetration pieces at the plants on the afternoon of Sept 16.

All personnel and nuclear power units at Daya Bay Nuclear Power Base were safe and sound as of 6 pm Sept 16.

Fangchenggang Nuclear Power Base

Fangchenggang Nuclear Power Base held a typhoon precaution conference, and set up an emergency organization to check facilities, eliminate any hidden problems, formulate contingency plans and do any necessary work from Sept 12 to 13.

Fangchenggang Nuclear Power Base conducts joint inspection of the production area, the Phase II and the self-governance zone to check the precautionary work and troubleshot the facilities on the morning of Sept 16.

The review team acquainted themselves with the precautionary work and troubleshooting on the morning of Sept 16, pledging that every precautionary measure is put in place.

The typhoon precaution task force held a third conference to debrief the checking results and supplement precautionary measures on the morning of Sept 16.

On-site staff members continued their security check on the afternoon of Sept 16.

All personnel and nuclear power units at Fangchenggang NPP were safe as of the afternoon of Sept 16.

Mangkhut will continue to go westward to Guangxi, generating heavy rain and bringing strong winds. The Fangchenggang Nuclear Power Base will stay on alert to ensure the safety of personnel and stability of nuclear power units.